What Is Transoesophogeal Echocardiogram (TOE)?
- A TOE also uses ultrasound to assess the heart, however, provides the cardiologist with a superior look at the heart valves and heart chambers.
What To Expect
- You will be admitted to John Flynn Hospital for a day procedure where nurses will prepare you for the procedure.
- Once you’re prepared and the cardiologist is present you will be sedated and an ultrasound probe will be passed down your esophagus to be positioned posterior to your heart.
- The test takes up to 30 minutes. Once completed, you will be monitored by nursing staff until you have fully recovered.
- The cardiologist will later discuss the results with you when you have fully recovered in hospital, and an outpatient appointment will be made for you at John Flynn Cardiology for a review with your cardiologist.